Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Packed

Sorry for my little hiatus, but there was too much that I had to settle in my first two weeks in Hong Kong. In Hong Kong, everything is accumulating, everything is simply complicatedly packed - physically, mentally and timely.

Physically

Everyone knows that people living in Hong Kong are squeezed into little spaces. At the moment you open your eyes to start off your day, you already notice the lack of space (if you are not super rich) as it takes you one step (or maybe not even one) from the edge of your bed to the living room (if you have one at all). Don't even think of doing the splits next to your bed, you will hit your closet or the wall before you could finish half of the split.

The physical burden continues as you are being squeezed while taking the lift, especially if you live in a building with many floors and only a few number of lifts and everyone needs to rush to work at once (luckily, I don't face such scenarios where I live). Be aware that a similar scenario repeats when you have to take the lift up your office building, happy squeezing.

The feeling of being the ham of a very thick sandwich reaches its maximum in the MTR, once around 8am and once around 7pm when most people fight their way from home to work, and vice versa. However, Hong Kong people know to queue for getting onto trains and buses, something which deserves to be positively emphasized as it makes the packed scenarios a bit more pleasant. I'm lucky to live at the end station of a line, so I often can get a seat to watch people being happily squeezed, muahahaha. Some people who are at the station before the end station take the train to the end station and then stay in the train until it departs again for the other direction just in order to get a seat (a little local trick ;D).


During rush hour in Causeway Bay - This is how it looks when I have just left my office and am on my way to the MTR station. Walking speed equals ant speed.

Mentally

When I just arrived here, I really felt confused and a bit lost. There was so much that I had to get done and I didn't know where to begin, where to look at, whom to look for, where to go to, how to get it done, etc. Hong Kong is not completely new to me, but living here creates and requires me to take a totally different perspective. It's not about enjoying a carefree holiday and happy non-stop shopping anymore, it's more about surviving.

Luckily, relatives and friends here have been very supportive, so I somehow managed to get everything work. Although the crowds and hectic environment seem to be very overwhelming, I now feel very comfortable here. After all, I've found a very nice and convenient place to live (my building is directly linked to/above a shopping mall and the MTR station) and even have a very easy-going, nice, caring and cooking-skilled housemate. My work colleagues are nice too, and so far, stress level at work is not as horrible as I expected (at least not yet, haha).

Many friends of mine that came back to Hong Kong from overseas complained about the crowded streets, limited space and hectic environment. However, I feel quite comfortable here. Even the overcrowded streets do not really disturb me :) hehe.

Timely

The biggest challenge is to balance life in a day that has only 24 hours. First, I'm at work for around 10hrs (incl. the time I'm going home or to work) and I need sufficient sleep (8hrs). When I come home after work, do grocery shopping, cook, wash dishes, shower and do my skincare routine, it's already time to sleep in order to still have my 8hrs sleep. The art is now to still squeeze out enough time for visiting relatives, being social and meeting up with friends, spending time with boyfriend, catching up with own hobbies and some entertainment activities, or simply for having a good rest. For example, I still haven't found time yet to do a little photo trip in Hong Kong =(

Nevertheless, I'm not complaining. I've always complained about the boring and monotonous life in Germany, so now I feel quite fulfilled and enriched with such a busy life. Eventually, I will get tired, because I'm still human, but after all, I think I will still enjoy life here :))

21 comments:

  1. Okay, definitely NOT stalking you, just so happen to comment within 5 minutes after you post your post! >D I assume joo blogging from work? Buahahhaa don't worry I do that all the time >.>

    Whoa seems like 3 huge challenge that you have been facing but lol, I guess you were bored for way too long in Germany so here's a little squeezing, half splits, ant speed ham and art of having entertainment =P

    That's the perk of living in a city. Everything that is awesome will be there but it is also the epitome of amount of living souls and having near to nil personal space at all.

    Real glad that you are surviving real good and your friends and relatives have been supportive of you.

    Chillax and we will be waiting on new updates of your new life!

    mish
    www.mishberries.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha 'the feeling of being a ham between
    a sandwich in the MTR' :P yup i've been
    there as well... As I love being in
    Hong Kong, I really can't live without
    the quietness and peace (I'm a born
    and raised country girl :P)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the style of your blog a lot.
    btw, I'm from Hong Kong too!

    www.whiteboardkid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an exciting part of your life, a new chapter! I don't think I would like to be in a place that is so crowded (especially living in Australia which has quite a low population density) but it must be such a different experience! You must feel like you're pushed for time especially with you long days at work, travelling and having to do errands! It's great to hear that you are enjoying it in Hong Kong though, one day I would love to visit over there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, ich wollte dir noch ganz kurz eine Antwort da lassen wegen deiner Frage zum Dual Lippenstift; Den Lippenstift habe ich als recht angenehm empfunden, alleine hält er um die 1 bis 2 Stunden, ohne Essen, relativ gut und trocknet die Lippen auch nicht aus. Den Gloss war doch recht klebrig und ich hatte auch etwas Mühe ihn schön aufzutragen, ich mag aber Glosse sowieso nicht besonders.

    Hong Kong hört sich doch sehr spannend an. Was genau machst du den dort wenn du 10 Std am Tag arbeitest O_O? Ich hoffe du findest irgendwann noch ein bisschen Zeit für einen Fototrip^^ Fände es doch sehr interessant ein paar Fotos von Hong Kong zu sehen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it must be awesome to have the opportunity of living in different cities. i'd love to visit hong kong one day but geez, i don't know if i can handle the crowded streets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once you started to work fulltime and having a challenging position, you won't have much freetime during your working days. Look forward to weekends and holidays!

    Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to hear that you're settling well and getting used to the environment! I think for me, I prefer less crowded areas as I get shoved out of the way most of the time >O<

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd hate to be part of a human sandwich every morning, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger Connie!! Oh you are lucky to live at the end of the trainline stop, haha that's pretty convienent actually. I can imagine how hectic everything would be, and dizzying, but I guess you have to really adapt to a new mentality and it'll soon show in your lifestyle/pattern :-) It's lovely to hear your relatives and friends are being super supportive, a bit of human comfort does wonders! It's a challenge to juggle everything within 24 hours, and often we can't even though we try as much as we can, but everything will fall into place and things will prioritize themselves, excited for your new posts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey you´ve a great blog!
    Please check out mine
    And if you want we can follow each other here and on bloglovin or GFC?
    Let me know!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. is this really the life in HK?
    Im surprised then.
    Just like life here in PH
    Don't worry dear, you'll then get used to it:-)
    I love how you put up this narrative because posts like such is really a must read for me:)

    ♡,
    Riza of Pour L'Instant

    ReplyDelete
  12. HK may be really crowded but like what you have said, the people know how to queue for the trains and also know how to stand on one side of the escalator. It really makes things a lot smoother. Singapore is getting so crowded too. Fortunately people are beginning to pick up queuing at the MRT stations and majority of the people stand at one side

    I'm glad to hear that you are settling in well in HK.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so cool getting to see you adjust to HK. I've lived in the same place most of my life (and it's not a big city).

    7% Solution​

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm visiting Hong Kong this summer and reading your post makes me more excited about it :D wow, I love to work in Hong Kong one day so I'm really jealous :3 wish you all the best there ^_^

    http://kaleidoscopexhearts.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. i miss hong kong so much, I want to visit there and one day maybe even live there. I hope you get to balance everything out and dont forgot to relax! omg the lifts are horrible XD if my relatives didnt live so high up, I would try and walk up the stairs :p

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've lived in HK for a while previously, that's a really good description! :)

    www.colorfulexistence.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really nice blog:) if you want go to my blog:)
    http://asunshineoffashion.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow I don't think I'd be able to stand all those people. I like my space and quietness for the most part :) I'm a new follower btw!

    Personal Blog l Twitter l Tumblr


    ReplyDelete
  19. Been going through some sort adjustment? I hope youre doing great right now.

    It's a good thing you have a wonderful support system there in Hongkong. And I hope you already made some time for a photo trip!

    I wish you all the best there!:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello,
    I've nominated you for the Liebster Award!

    xoxo.
    Clarie C.

    http://mytimeless-distraction.blogspot.sg/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments~ I appreciate all of them! :)

COPYRIGHT © 2010-2015 ACHEERFULINSPIRATION.BLOGSPOT.COM. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.